Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Beginning

And so it begins.  I've titled this blog Infinite Distractions appropriately, seeing as I decided upon the name two months ago and have just now sat down to set it up.  I've been given the gift of time for a moment since my daughter is napping.  I love being a mother more than I have loved doing anything else, but I do miss having my free time.  Now during naps I have to prioritze what needs to be done vs. what I would like to do. 

I decided to write this blog in hopes that it would help me stay motivated and on track with my novel.  What novel, you ask?  The one I am going to write so that I can support my family and realize my dream of being a published author.  Unfortunately, I have so many ideas about what I should write about that I haven't even started writing.  Well, that's a lie.  I wrote about half a page for two different novels.  My problem is the follow-through.  I keep telling myself I'm foolish for thinking I can actually write a novel.  Not because I don't have the literary skills or the creativity to do so, but because I lack the commitment to finish writing. 

It seems that as soon as I start on one project, my mind starts whirling with thoughts of a different project that seems like it would be more interesting.  So of course I abandon the first idea for the second, then for the third, and so on and so forth.  I am taking a stand against myself.  I am going to commit to writing this blog.  I am starting off slowly, so that I won't set myself up for failure.  Writing on this blog will keep my fingers fast on the keyboard, keep my mind clear, my thoughts flowing, and give me confidence in myself.  Because, hey, if I can write a blog, why the hell can't I write a novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment